Joining Us as a VaxForce Volunteer:
AM I ELIGIBLE TO VOLUNTEER?
- Licensed health professionals with current and active California professional licenses are being recruited. Health professionals eligible to participate in VaxForce include licensed vocational nurses, registered nurses, advanced practice registered nurses, physicians, physician assistants, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Licensees who have inactive or retired licenses must re-activate their licenses. The Department of Consumer Affairs has waived reinstatement requirements for inactive and retired licenses. Please refer to the licensing board for more information on how to re-activate a license.
- Pharmacy technicians can also sign up and must function in accordance with the California Board of Pharmacy waiver 20-103 that describes the criteria for vaccine administration. Please refer to the Department of Consumer Affairs waiver 20-103 for more information.
- Registered nursing interim permitees who have applied for and received their interim permit from the Board of Registered Nursing can also sign up and will need to function under the supervision of a registered nurse.
- Health professional students can also volunteer as part of their clinical education and under supervision of a faculty instructor when enrolled in a California recognized program in a college or university. Health professional students who are eligible are nursing students, medical students, pharmacy students, dentistry students, physician assistant students. The faculty instructor will need to also apply to VaxForce. See the Health Professional Students section below.
Volunteers must be 18 or older.
At this time, we are not enrolling medical assistants as we can only cover licensed staff due to insurance coverage requirements.
Post vaccination observation, patient education, managing adverse effects.
Answering general questions, wayfinding, restocking supplies, and other operational duties.
Shift times are usually 4 or 8 hours.
Those who volunteer their time to help operate vaccination sites may be eligible for COVID-19 vaccination,
depending on vaccine supply. There is no charge for vaccines.
HOW TO APPLY AND THE CREDENTIALING PROCESS FOR LICENSEES
First-time volunteers, click Sign Up to Volunteer on the homepage .
You will be asked to complete a volunteer profile application.
You will be asked to consent to a professional license and background check through our partners, Sterling Volunteers, as part of the application process. Please complete and submit this form.
Once your professional license and background check have cleared, you will be notified and then proceed to the competency verification process within VaxForce.
The total process time is approximately 5 calendar days.
After you’re cleared to volunteer, you can search for volunteer opportunities.
HEALTH PROFESSIONAL STUDENTS
VaxForce welcomes health professional students to volunteer for vaccination events. Health professional students must sign up and be accompanied by a clinical instructor from their school. Health professional students will create an individual volunteer profile and will go through a background check.
After all health professional students and the clinical instructor complete their profiles and are cleared for volunteering, then the clinical instructor will create a Volunteer Team profile. The Team Leader will be the clinical instructor and the members of the team will be the students. Then, the Volunteer Team will be eligible to sign up for an assignment.
VaxForce is for healthcare professionals and students. For any non-medical individuals who would like to get involved, opportunities exist through California Volunteers or your local volunteer action center.